Dieses 5-sätzige Werk basiert auf den fünf Szenen von Melvilles Erzählung Moby Dick. Es ist ein Auftragswerk der "California Band Directors Association", der es auch gewidmet ist. Uraufgeführt wurde das Werk im Februar 1990 durch die "California All-State Band" unter der Leitung des Komponisten.
This large-scale musical depiction in five movements is based of five scenes from Melville's Moby Dick. It was commissioned by and is dedicated to the California Band Directors Association. The February 1990 premiere was performed by the California All-State Band and conducted by the composer.
- I. Ishmael - "I go to sea a simple sailor".
- II. Queequeg - "It was quite plain that must be some abominable savage, but Queequeg was a creature in the transitory state - neither caterpillar nor butterfly".
- III. Father Mapple - "This ended, in prolonged solemn tones, like the continual tolling of a bell in a ship that is foundering at sea in a fog - in such tones he commenced reading the following hymn; but changing his manner towards the concluding stanzas, burst forth with a pealing exultation and joy."
- IV. Ahab - "So powerfully did the whole grim aspect of Ahab affect me that for the first few moments I hardly noted the barbaric white leg upon which he partly stood".
- V. The White Whale - "Moby Dick seemed combinedly possessed by all the angels that fell from heaven. The birds! The birds! They mark the spot".